Current Events

Sunday, May 8, 2011

USA, USA, USA

Osama bin Laden won’t be missed.  Our President has fulfilled another campaign promise.  He did it the hard way, as opposed to sending in drones, and as a result we obtained what seems to be an intelligence treasure trove.  Kathleen Parker has an op-ed piece today which expresses some disquiet at all the celebration of Obama’s assassination.  On the infrequent occasions when her lead-in catches my eye, I usually find it to be pretty thin stuff, but this time I have to agree.  The first picture that popped into my head when I saw the story on the assassination and the spontaneous celebrations in ball parks and across the street from the White House was the spontaneous demonstration in the streets of Beirut after the destruction of the twin towers.   Do you remember how we felt?

No comments:

Post a Comment