Current Events

Monday, April 15, 2013

Registering Guns and Automobiles - Amendment XXVIII

In my first post on the subject of registering guns, I noted that the founders forgot to mention our right to own and drive automobiles.  As I consider the expense of licensing and registration, not to mention insurance, and the possibility that the government will come and take my car, I'm thinking we need an amendment to the Constitution to guarantee our right to own and drive cars.  So here it is:

Amendment XXVIII
A mobile population, being necessary to the prosperity of a free State, the right of the people to keep and drive cars, shall not be infringed.

I used Amendment II as a model.  If we can get Amendment XXVIII passed and ratified -- who could object? -- then perhaps we could apply the same criteria to both guns and automobiles to determine the appropriate role for government in regulating them or not.  I wonder if the NRA and the AAA would use the same lobbyists.
 ---------------------
Amendment II
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

No comments:

Post a Comment